Suan Pakkad Palace is located on Sri Ayutthaya Road not far from the Victory Monument in downtown Bangkok. Initially the house of Prince Chumbhotpong Paripatra and his spouse, they transformed it into a museum that opened in 1952.
Suan Pakkad means “Cabbage Patch”, in reference to when the area was nothing more than exactly that. These days, on the other hand, it’s a well cared for tropical garden with tranquil ponds encircling 8 traditional Thai houses, each of which is filled with fine arts, antiques in addition to oddities belonging to the Prince and Princess. The over 450 years old Lacquer Pavilion is considered the most impressive construction within the compound.
The first thing that greets visitors is a building which displays ancient Ban Chieng items dating back to the Neolithic, Bronze and Iron Ages. These rare pieces of decorated ceramics, bronze weaponry and equipment, shows a Southeast Asian civilisation that was equal to Egypt and Stonehenge when it comes to technological and cultural development.
The architectural centerpiece of Suan Pakkad Palace features 4 Thai teak wood houses situated between the front of the palace and garden. Each one was moved here from its original place in Chiang Mai and, like the majority of traditional Thai houses, are 2 storeys high (they are all interconnected by way of 2nd floor platforms, so you’re able to wander between buildings without needing to go up and down the stairs).
To sum up Suan Pakkad Palace is an excellent location to stop by to view numerous rare and diverse pieces as well as architectural designs.
Opening hours: 09:00 – 16:00
Location: 352-354 Sri Ayudhya Road. Pratunam (five minutes walk from Phaya Thai BTS station)
Contact: +66 (0)2 245 4934